Crime Library: Criminal Minds and Methods

Dutch Schultz: Beer Baron of the Bronx


After a series of operations, and a nine-week hospital stay with around the clock security, Marty Krompier was released on New Years Day 1936. Sammy Gold had recovered from his wounds and was released not long after the shooting.

On July 14, 1937 a grand jury handed down a dozen policy racket indictments. Heading the list was former Schultz attorney, Dixie Davis, who, for all intents and purposes, had taken over the Harlem numbers operations. Also indicted were George Weinberg and Harry Schoenhaus who oversaw the Harlem bankers. Davis and Weinberg fled to Philadelphia where they were later arrested and extradited back to New York. Schoenhaus turned himself in.

Jimmy Hines
Jimmy Hines
Despite their years of illegal activity in the numbers rackets, Thomas Dewey was willing to make a deal with the trio because he wanted to put the corrupt Tammany leader Jimmy Hines away. The three men agreed to plea bargain for reduced sentences and testify against Hines. On May 25, 1938, Hines, the most powerful Democrat in New York State, was arrested for his role in the numbers operation. His trial began on August 15, 1938. The key witnesses testified against Hines, first Weinberg, then Davis, and finally Schoenhaus. Other witnesses were called to prove that Hines was the money conduit between the Schultz organization and the election of William C. Dodge as district attorney in 1934. But, in September, the judge declared a mistrial after Dewey made a comment about Hines one-time participation in a poultry racket.

On January 26, 1939 Jimmy Hines second trial got underway. A new judge was assigned to hear the case. The three witnesses were held in protective custody and were being moved around to avoid detection. Weinberg grew increasingly fearful that he would be murdered for turning states evidence. On Sunday January 29, three days after the second trial began, Weinberg went to a closet in the safe house where he was being kept and lifted a gun from the jacket pocket of one of his guards. He took it into a bathroom and committed suicide.

Weinbergs previous testimony was read back to the jury and when the case concluded Hines was found guilty on thirteen counts on February 25, 1939. Hines was sentenced to four to eight years in prison. After his appeals were exhausted, he entered Sing Sing Prison on October 14, 1940. Hines was released in August 1944 and returned to New York City where he died in 1957.

Due to his cooperation, Dixie Davis received a one-year prison sentence. Upon his release he moved to California. On December 31, 1969, Davis raced home after learning that his Bel Air home had been the site of an armed robbery. Thieves had entered the house, tied up his wife, grandson, and a maid, and then ransacked the home. Davis entered the house, sat down in the living room and suffered a massive heart attack that took his life.

Frances Flegenheimer (Mrs Dutch Schultz)
(Mrs Dutch Schultz)
Frances Flegenheimer, the young cigarette girl who bore Schultz two children, (it was never really clear if the couple had married) moved west to raise her family out of the New York City limelight.

When Abe Reles became a government witness in 1940 and ratted on the Murder, Inc. gang, the trial of Charles Workman for the murder of Schultz and his henchmen was one of the first to get underway. Eight days into the trial, Workman changed his plea to no contest and the judge sentenced him to life in prison. He was released in 1964.

Although not tried for the Schultz murder, Emmanuel Mendy Weiss suffered a worse fate. He was found guilty of the murder of a storeowner along with Lepke Buchalter and Louis Capone. After final pleas to the then Governor, Dewey, were declined, the three men were put to death in Sing Sings electric chair on March 4, 1944.

In 1937, Dewey was elected District Attorney of New York County. He was sworn in on December 31. In 1943, Dewey became Governor of New York and served three terms. While governor, Dewey was the Republican candidate for president twice. He lost in 1944 to Franklin D. Roosevelt and in 1948 to Harry S. Truman. Thomas Dewey died on March 16, 1971 in Bal Harbour, Florida at the age of 69.


We're Following
Slender Man stabbing, Waukesha, Wisconsin
Gilberto Valle 'Cannibal Cop'